Wednesday 15 September 2010

DropBox allows you to Sync across Phones and Computers World Wide

DropBox is a area of your hard disk ("My DropBox") which is automatically synced to the dropbox web site and/or other computers (Windows, Mac 10.4+, Linux, and Mobile).

If you go to a friends place then you will be able to access your files via the web interface (password protected) or if you are on the run with your phone then you will be able the access them that way.

I just found the link "https://www.dropbox.com/anywhere/apps" which I assume is for applications that have been officially certified to work well with DropBox file sync.

I've been using Dropbox for a fair while now and while the Android (iPhone and other phones also supported) version could use some more work it has worked well. The ways I've used it (or plan to):
  • Installing portable programs.
  • SplashId is not portable but I can sync its data which is in the DropBox, so it syncs between the computers and I just need to sync my phone's SplashId with my home computer.
  • I put my favorite tools on there (I used to keep these on USB stick), you know the tools you need when your friend asks for help :-)
  • Transferring files from one computer to another.
  • I put backups of some important files in DropBox. The web version keeps some revisions of files giving me some additional protection.
  • Making files easily accessible via my phone or anyone's internet connection.
  • I plan on setting up an encrypted filesystem (perhaps using TrueCrypt) to hold some more sensitive information and sync that along with the rest.
  • You can have a public area in your dropbox so you can easily share selected files with others.
Anyway if you want to try it make sure you use a referral from someone as you will be allocated more free space (2.25 GB) than if you just went to the site to sign up. The referrer will also benefit.

Now that I've used it for 5 months I'm happy that its reliable and can recommend it, if you wish to sign up you can use my referal link "http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY3MzU2NTM5", thank you ;-)

You can buy additional space if you wish and this allows for more revisions of files being kept and other extra features, I'm using the free version.

No comments: