Saturday 26 February 2011

Auto Rotate not working on Samsung Galaxy Tab? Blame Samsung...


My wife asked me why auto rotate (swapping between portrait and landscape modes) wasn't working any longer on her Samsung phone. I found this was fairly common but no one had a fix, I was hoping it wasn't a hardware issue...

After a bit of playing I posted this solution.

Basically some idiot decided that the "Orientation lock" in Samsung's notification bar should toggle a different value than Android and all existing toggle widgets! This means that there are two autorotate locks and both have to be on for it to work!

So to avoid this issue either never use Samsung's "Orientation lock" (and leave it turned on) or always use it and never use a widget.

To fix the issue make sure Samsung's "Orientation lock" is on and then reinstall or use your widget/tool to also turn it on and confirm that autorotate now works (then uninstall or never use it again). If you have a hardware issue then bad luck...

I documented this issue to help you, so hopefully it has :-)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for taken the time it fixed me right up. been this way for three months

Anonymous said...

I've installed the "Orientation Lock widget" but it didnt appear... its gone.. but it is installed.. and my auto rotate is still broken and my tab is only on landscape... (Galaxy tab 7.0 plus)

dbareis said...

Widgets don't generally magically appear, add it to your homescreen after installation.